Friday, May 13, 2011

Thorough

By the time i was 6 1/2, I had mastered the fake smile. I knew how to kindly and respectfully answer any question asked of me, and I knew to always shake a hand firmly.

I've been such a little actress that i don't know what my real smile looks like; I don't know how to portray what I really feel like. I can take on any persona that I'd like, and mood or edge that I'd like. I don't know how to be natural, and honestly I'm afraid to know at all.

Socrates' whole philsophy that one must "know thyself". This means not only having the ability to stand firm in your values and priorities, but to know your strengths and weaknesses of character, and thus be able to act on them (or not).

What if we don't know what our real weaknesses are? Or our real strengths? What if we've been convincing others of something so long that we've convinced ourselves, but it's not actually the truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment