Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Good job.

Just wanted to take a moment to share with you a lesson I learned today.


I recently purchased a theater curtain and tracking from a company out of New Jersey. We cold called based on their large stock of used curtains, in attempt to gain a great piece, at a money conscious cost.
 

Originally, they had 3 large used curtains that would fit our space. After going through the motions, I was informed that the curtains were sold out from under us, but there was another set of three coming in, and I could instead have those. They were of a heavier material, and they would honor the originally quoted cost. With dismay due to the time constraints on me, we went through the paperwork a second time. This would set us back two weeks.
 

A third time, I could scarcely believe. I was told by the sales representative that the second set of curtains was sold out from under me. They were to get me a brand new curtain, built for me, at the same originally quoted cost. Fine, wonderful - but I needed it fast! The sales representative quickly became aware that I was not happy with the situation at all, and yet he remained graceful and professional. Two more weeks.
 

A third set of paperwork, and our fingers crossed, our curtain has come in and is beautiful.
In reflection, I realized that I was definitely very harsh to this sales represenative, who in my eyes couldn't push the paper work through fast enough for us to attain the proposed curtain each time! Come on! Yet, he remained poised and pleasurable throughout my clearly stated discontent.

 
Today I called the company and requested to speak to a supervisor, with intent to give a positive review to a very deserving sales representative. The woman who picked up the phone heard me out, and heard my compliments of an employee who handled a tough customer in a great way. She then said, "Leighann, you were lucky enough to have been dealing with the owner of the company himself". Shocked, and rather dumbfounded, I swiftly inserted my foot in my mouth and just sort of waited to hear what she would say next!

 
"That's just how we operate here, everyone lends a hand to get the customers what they need. We know you are all under time constraints, and we always do the best we can from top to bottom. I'm so glad you're happy with the curtain...etc."

 
....

They are going to be sending a photographer to photograph the beautiful curtain up on the track in our beautiful studio, to be placed on their "projects" page of their website, with a blurb about the studio; who we are and what we do.

 
I guess today's lesson is to give someone deserving - a pat on the back. Not just because it's good for them and feels good for you, but because it might actually really benefit you in ways beyond your imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment