Monday, October 4, 2010

If you're gonna say it, mean it.


Photo By Leighann Kowalsky. All Rights Reserved.

So, I'm on a bit of a quest here for clarification of a commonly used phrase that I've come to despise over the months of mulling that I've done. Don't think this is one of those fleeting, radical, attention seeking blobs of a vent. I have been really analyzing this, trying to assign words to my thoughts for quite some time. Quality ahead. Continue.

I'm a busy being. I don't get to keep up with the goings on of everyone I've ever become acquainted with. So all I ever here is "I miss you".

They all "miss me". We all "miss" eachother. We don't post, "lets meet up on saturday, or anytime, really!" on someones Facebook. We simply express that we "miss" them.

Why can't someone say, "I love you" or "I care about you" or "I'm thinking of you " ? Ever? There's such an absence of emotion in "I miss you". It's empty, lacking effort, sort of ironic, isn't it? The phrase "I miss you" is missing something deeper...

It has become a lazy way of saying "Remembered you for a sec...don't really care what's new...just want you to recall that I breathe in an oxygen mix of air, and breathe it out shortly thereafter".

I sought out what the phrase "I miss you" really means, or really should mean. I think I'll start using some of these instead.
  • fail to perceive or to catch with the senses or the mind;
  • feel or suffer from the lack of;
  • fail to attend an event or activity;
  • neglect: leave undone or leave out;
  • fail to reach or get to;
  • be without;
  • fail to experience;
What I just don't like, is why it's so easy them to say "I miss you", and so hard for me to really believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment