Monday, August 23, 2010

Good Read

I'd like to recommend the book "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer to those of you who enjoy a book that you need to read 5+ times in order to get every bit, dog ear page after page to re-read moments that you loved, and cry---then laugh---then wonder---then laugh again (while crying). It's deep. Real deep.

A few quotes that I dog-eared I've shared below. I'm excited to see what else Foer will come out with.

"Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living"

"You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness."

"It's the tragedy of loving, you can't love anything more than something you miss."

"Just because you're an atheist, that doesn't mean you wouldn't love for things to have reasons for why they are."

"I felt suddenly shy. I was not used to shy. I was used to shame. Shyness is when you turn your head away from something you want. Shame is when you turn your head away from something you do not want."

"Being with him made my brain quiet. I didn't have to invent a thing."

"The secret was a hole in the middle of me that every happy thing fell into."


"I tried the key in all the doors, even though he said he didn't recognize it. It's not that I didn't trust him, becuase I did. It's that at the end of my search I wanted to be able to say: I don't know how I could have tried harder."

No comments:

Post a Comment