Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Usually

As per my usual, I have a long list of things I should be doing that fall much higher on the priority level than blogging. But, it's a form of exhaust for my brain and it's capacity, so I claim this as a necessary step before delving into my tasks for the evening.

Most parents, love their children dearly. Big events like scoring a goal, graduating school, landing a big job, tend to evoke a sense of pride that they often audibly share with their children. Wonderful.

There's another angle that pride should come through, that for me so far, it has not. I'm busy and crazy and over achieving, and somehow, in expressing this to any friends or romances, there's a sense of jealousy, competition or otherwise. Never pride. Never appreciation or admiration.

My most recent romance, one that I like very much actually, recently listened with wide open ears as I shared of my plans for the day, which, let's be real, were ridiculous. There are never enough hours in the day. He replied with "I am so proud of you".

Floored.

Fall over the your chair.

Really?

Yeah. Simple and honest, and somehow more meaningful than most other things anyone could have said. Knowing someone is "proud of you" evokes a much different inner feeling that knowing someone "loves you" or knowing someone "cares about you" or "thinks of you". They take pride in knowing you, in calling you theirs.

I like that, someone takes pride in knowing I'm theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment