Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Love

So he had taken me to a place that was very beautiful.
This enormous, majestic waterfall with a perfectly rounded swimming hole at the base.
The slate soft rocks had been carved out perfectly over hundreds of years, to suit sunbathers.
It's like they knew.

So anyways there we were in this beautiful place, and it was a beautiful day.
We hiked this long, skinny and windy trail to reach our destination, and as we walked he talked.
He asked me things like "what are your aspirations" and "what do you do to relax?".
Quickly it became clear that this inquisitor had taken me on a date.
Much to my lack of knowledge, and much more to my dismay, it became clear that I had been swindled.

Swindled into being on a date. The last place in the world I wanted to be at that moment.
I was sick of spending days in front of beautiful waterfalls with someone who wasn't Him.
I felt like an adulterer even being near someone who wasn't Him.
Sick to my stomach with guilt, I mindlessly droned short, non-descriptive and pretty over-the-top ambiguous answers to his many questions.
I didn't feel like sharing my prepared answers with anyone but Him.

"Have you ever been in love?" came the doozy swirling off of his quickly-whipping tongue.
"Have you?" I dodged.

Droning on and on for moments as I heard the tale of the young woman who made him quite happy for a period of time, he finally came to the clause that I stand very firmly against. "But I don't love her anymore".

In my head I scolded him for believing he had ever been in love. I know quite positively that if you fall in love, you never fall out.

No comments:

Post a Comment