Monday, April 19, 2010

Character Development

Photo Credit: Leighann Kowalsky. All Rights Reserved.
Nearly every English 101 class will teach you the basics about Character Development; probably in regard to the way a character changes, transforms or just simply becomes more familiar throughout the literary work or film.

Recently, I've been working on developing a character for my own work. Her name is Tara, and she has an entire poster board of a web-chart defining parts of her life: traits, favorite things, catch phrases and silly thoughts.

I feel like Tara was born, and is growing up right before my eyes. I believe this is the most literal form of character development that an author or artist can witness, and I personally have never had quite so much fun with it before! I feel as though I am an actress about to play the roll of "Tara", and in order to do so properly I must know her every experience. The mind-blowing thing is that I created Tara, like an imaginary friend she is so real and so fake.

No comments:

Post a Comment