Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Kids Say the "Darndest" Things

Every weekday morning, I rise at 5:30AM and drive a fifteen year old girl to school. Let's not talk about why, as you will slowly learn that I don't exactly think or operate on the same level as most.

The dialogue between us generally fluxuates daily between simple complaints of her fellow classmates or teachers, and more serious, innovative thoughts. I adore the latter conversations. She is so insightful for her age, and has actually been raised to be very aware and knowledgeable of the world around her. Today's topic? Awkward.

According to "Google Definitions" (yea yea yea, I've got an old Webster's at home I promise --- I'm not completely part of the technology generation, thank you.) the very first entry for awkward is as follows: causing inconvenience. Now among other definitions such as "lacking grace or skill in manner or movement or performance", "hard to deal with; especially causing pain or embarrassment", or "socially uncomfortable; unsure and constrained in manner", I think the first encapsulates.

Now she came out very bluntly and said decidedly: "Is it strange if I'm awkward on purpose sometimes?" And together, we discussed why not. Here's our synopsis:

An awkward moment or situation doesn't have to be NEGATIVE, and it's nature is directly determined by the person(s) involved. It could easily be an ice breaker or a conversation starter; a moment to put everyone back on the same level of hierarchy. It's all determined by the person(s) reaction. If my fifteen year old were to trip and land on her face in front of the whole school, she could choose to be scarred for life from that awkward moment. The key is, instead, to get up and laugh at yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment