Monday, April 26, 2010

Renovations


I've never renovated a room before. I've never even re-finished furniture before. But I'm currently mid-process in renovations of 'ma chambre' and am finding it difficult in ways I hadn't expected.

Painting of walls, rearranging of furniture and disposal of unnecessary clutter are actually the least of my trials. I have found that the bedroom is a bit of a look at the owner's soul as well. Whether they keep it neat and clean, frayed and cluttered, the color of the walls? Is the bed made? It all tells a bit about the dweller.

Well frankly, mine was a mess.

The paint on the walls had been there for 10+ years. It was never kept clean, with piles of piles in the corners. Not enough hangers to keep clothes in the closet at all times, and not enough shelf space to keep books off the floor -- not to mention the bed was NEVER made.

Of course this post has to get theoretical at some point, right? Well buckle your seatbelt. I'm growing up. And my bedroom is a reflection of that. I'm taking control, sweeping out the old -- literally scraping the scum off the walls--and applying a finish that I have chosen, and that I like. Directly relative to the paths I'm choosing in life, It's my choice, and I'll have to live with it.

(So of course as I paint-thinner the crap out of my walls I'm internally cleaning out my secret place as well --- everyone thinks I'm crazy for the amount of tears spent in painting my room.)

No comments:

Post a Comment