Monday, January 24, 2011

Time Heals.


Photo Property of Leighann Kowalsky. All Rights Reserved.

I'll admit, I haven't given nearly enough thought to the idea that "Time Heals All" to neither disagree nor agree with the statement. One thing I do know, however, is that I now have blatant evidence that it at least heals...a little.

I'm moving out of my home. I'm getting a new office...everything is changing. This makes for a great deal of organizing/de-cluttering and just generally taking an overview of my stuff. Essentially, widdling it down to what is truly necessary. I've already tossed 3 bags of "memories" that I had kept in a box for the last 4 years. I didn't feel a thing.

here's where it gets juicy.

4 years ago, I couldn't part with this stuff. These photographs, these love letters, these old baggy t-shirts that represent a weekend away...packed up neatly and with care and sealed with a kiss, only to become bonfire fodder 4 years later.. Perhaps my situation is particular thanks (and no thanks) to the traumatic experiences I had through my childhood, but either way, I couldn't even remember feeling tied to these THINGS. No matter what it is, these things I once gripped with all my might? I don't need those anymore. No need to clog the brain, to hold onto the past...I have healed enough to let it go.

It feels good, walking forward. Taking steps, feeling a few pounds lighter without the weight of damp memory on my back. I may not be all healed up, all better boo boo, but Time certainly heals. At least enough to let us move on for a while, push forward, and make space for new memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment